Born in Iraq, lives and works in the United Kingdom. Currently a member of the ‘Travelling Heritage Bureau’ group in Manchester: https://www.travellingheritagebureau.com/ A project by Digital Women’s Archive North (DWAN).
Her works reflect the controversial issues of gender and social equality in her native country, using her gender experiences to critique the absence of women’s voices. she is interested in revealing forgotten and hidden stories that need to remember. Her works aim to expose the relationship between nature and culture, and the construction of gender in society. Kani produces works in photography, installation, needle-work, video and sound, frequently used her own hair as a material. Kani holds a Masters Degree from Middlesex University London, with Sonia Boyce as a tutor.
2013 Master’s degree Fine art, Middlesex University London.
2006 Bachelor’s degree Fine art /Ceramic, University of Sulaimany college of fine art, Iraq.
Collective Exhibitions and performances
- Upcoming project ( Everyday Object), a collaboration project with the University of
Huddersfield, Kate Smith, and Kelly Lockwood.
- The upcoming show, The Hull International Photography Festival, exhibition at the HIP Gallery in Hull.
- (Disclosure Up North), a photography exhibition at Mirabel Studios in Manchester.
- Upcoming project ( Feminist Space ), a collaboration project with the University of
Huddersfield and women center in Huddersfield. https://feministspaces.net/
- Performance with sound artist Tarek Atoui in (The Shuffle Orchestra)at the Calder, The Hepworth Wakefield, United Kingdom part of Yorkshire Sculpture International.
- (Cohere), V&A London, the project produced by Geoff Brokate, and Nina Emmett as a curator.
- (Cohere), HOME Manchester, the project produced by Geoff Brokate, and Nina Emmett as a curator.
- (Still, I rise) at the Manchester art gallery, directed by Yusra Warsama, Manchester.
- A group exhibition of (The Traveling Heritage Bureau) artists in Alice Kettle project (Thread Bearing witness )at Whitworth art gallery/ Manchester.
- (A ROOM OF ONE’S OWN) an exhibition by Traveling Heritage Bureau, The Alexandria Library, Manchester, curated by Jenna C. Ashton.
- (Slowness) at (TRAFO, trafostacji art in szczecin) , Poland, curated by Aneta Szylak
- (The Traveling Heritage Bureau) HOME gallery/ Manchester, curated by Jenna C. Ashton.
- (contemporary visions | Video art in loop) worldwide, curated by Roberto Ronca.
- (Clamor) at the Institute of fine art Sulaimany/Iraq, the project curated by Sherko Abbas.
- Group show at the Kurdish House in London, curated by Kosha Hussain.
- (Homunculus) Asylum Caroline Garden’s chapel in London, curated by Rikha Samir.
- (Arising) at Reykjavik Art Museum in Iceland, the project curated by Yoko Ono working with women in an installation produced from testaments of harm and their eye’s photo.
- (18th international open) at (WMG) woman made gallery, Chicago. Curated by New Zealand artist Gill Gatfield.
- The sound performance (When the Wild instrument sing) initiated by visual artist Sherko Abbas at Goldsmith University London.
- (Julia Madison on her Used boots and panties) at Vyner street gallery, London.
- (Sexism) at Indra and Samia gallery, London.
- (Stop the war) at Indra and Samia Gallery, London.
- participated in the MA fine art show at Middlesex University, London.
- (Eye-Eye) at Mile End art pavilion gallery, London, curated by Jeremy Akerman.
- (Out of this world) fine art student show at Middlesex University, curated by Farhana Hussain and Michelle Brown, London.
- group show for sculpture and Ceramics, Arbil/ Iraq
- (Forth festival of the college of art) at Sulaimany University, Sulaimany.
- (Women’s international Day) at Tawar Hall in Sulaimany.
- 2011 award Research scholarship to study MA in fine art Middlesex University, London.